Senior Systems Engineer - Battery
Status: Regular Full-time
Location: Pontiac, MI 48341
The Senior Systems Engineer ensures the Li-ion battery system operates properly and safely within the customer’s host system through design analysis and testing. This high-achiever works with the customer’s integration team and other engineering teams to highlight and prevent (and resolve) issues resulting from incompatibilities between the host platform and the battery system. This role is engaged from the prototype stage through launch and becomes the expert in understanding the interfaces between the host vehicle and battery including high-voltage wiring, contactor and relay behavior, low voltage control wiring, application-specific protocols, message sets and diagnostics, and electromagnetic compatibility and grounding. This is a senior role where leadership and mentoring skills are important.
- Ongoing: Develop and maintain standards and checklists for use in assessing compatibility and safety of battery systems and host platforms.
- During the early product development phase: Learn and analyze the electrical, electronic and mechanical interfaces between the customer’s host platform and the battery pack.
- Establish fluency regarding host vehicle-to-battery networks including terminations, messages, and analytical tools (e.g., CANalyzer)
- Establish fluency regarding diagnostic messages and related failure modes (what causes each fault to trigger) and response modes (how the battery and the vehicle respond)
- Establish understanding of vehicle electrical distribution system (harnesses, shielding, routing) and grounding topologies.
- During vehicle prototype testing phases: Support customer onsite with system reviews and troubleshooting/problem solving. Provide lessons learned feedback to the appropriate and Customer engineering teams as issues are encountered and resolved.
Additional Support Responsibilities:
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Proactively support design validation teams in test plan reviews to ensure testing strategies and methods truly stress and verify design compliance and safety.
- Work closely with marketing functions to understand customer technical requirements and build multi-generation technical plans for different applications.
- Assess competitive technologies for system level innovation, cost, performance, and functional advantages.
- Proactively support Design FMEA, particularly in areas related to host vehicle noise factors
- Proactively support Service Engineering with recommendations for improving Service strategies
- M.S. in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent (BS acceptable with sufficient experience)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in electric vehicle programs, with battery integration a plus
- Minimum 5 years of experience in electric vehicle programs and battery design and/or integration.
- Working knowledge of CANalyzer, CANoe and NI-based analysis and development tools
- Understanding of Battery Management Systems and relationships between controllable attributes, and battery life and performance.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills – position requires strong interaction in multi-functional team environment particularly in high-pressure situations (e.g., launch)
- Strong English skills, both spoken and written
- Must be a self-starter who takes the initiative to find solutions to technical challenges
- Must demonstrate knowledge of and proficiency with creative problem solving methods.
- Travel 10–20% of time
- Takes actions and displays behaviors that demonstrate ownership in the success of the company.
- Demonstrates primary focus on meeting both internal and external customer needs when identifying, prioritizing and accomplishing tasks.
- Works independently and overcomes obstacles to achieve results
- Willingness to participate in teams to reach desired outcomes either as a team leader or team member.
- Evaluates existing work processes and initiate practices to promote continuous improvement.
- Builds safety, quality and compliance into all actions.
- Committed to continuous learning and self-improvement.
For more information or further consideration on this opportunity please contact Donny Yoshida, Kelly Engineering Recruiter, [email protected]
Kelly puts you in charge of your career, with access to cutting edge projects and technologies in industry leading organizations. Top companies throughout the world have trusted Kelly as a premier source of engineering talent and services since 1965. And engineering job seekers know Kelly as a firm with an unmatched reputation for quality, integrity, and professionalism. Whether you seek the variety and flexibility of working on short-term project engagements or prefer contract-to-hire or direct-hire placement with our clients, apply with Kelly to explore opportunities that suit your specific professional interests.
At Kelly, we’re always thinking about what’s next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we’re a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.