Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
Are you up for the challenge?
- Preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrated experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
- Good understanding with Java applications design and development in an Enterprise setting using J2EE, Spring, etc.
- Experience in Objected Oriented Analysis and Design across a variety of platforms
- Experience in creating and integrating with SOAP and REST based Web Services.
- Thorough understanding of XML, JSON, and data structure fundamentals
- Experience with continuous integration and various testing frameworks (JUnit, TestNG, Selenium, SOAP UI)
- Experience with adaptive and responsive development techniques
- Experience with internationalization and localization
- A proven hunger to learn new technologies and translate them into working software
- Ability to effectively communicate to internal and external business partners on solution design
Core of Software EngineeringEvery member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Serving as a core member of an agile team that drives user story analysis and elaboration, designs and develops software applications, and builds automation tools for testing
- Performing hands-on software and strategy development, typically spending most of time actually writing code, doing proof of concepts, conducting code reviews, and testing in ongoing sprints
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Developing deep understanding of integrations with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Working with technical product managers contributing to blueprints, and assisting with annual planning of feature sets
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technology to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Work closely with product managers, back-end and other front-end engineers to implement versatile solutions to tricky web development problems
- Quickly generate and updating prototypes from UI concepts for testing and team feedback
- Finalizing prototypes into Web Applications by integrating with back-end services and functionality
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices in order to push the limits of what a browser can do
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies